Thursday, October 27, 2011

Mindsets that make money

Jim Rohn, in my opinion, one of the best business mentors ever, always said that "the thing that will make the biggest difference to your health, relationships and your bank account in the next 12 months, is your philosophy"


Mindset is super important for the success of small business. Having been running our own small businesses for over 20 years, and having made more mistakes than I care to remember, I've come to the conclusion that there is a priority in small business that needs to be paid attention to, that by and large is not.


In my experience the area of marketing is the most important and least understood and least focused on area of small a business. Small business owners tend to focus on pretty much from most other areas of the business (the ones they find comfortable) except for the marketing.


You could have a business where you are lousy at people management, customer service, administration and even sales, but were outstanding at marketing, you could still survive. Granted it would be an ugly stress filled business, but surviving.


Marketing is much more than sticking an ad in the paper or Yellow Pages. You need to understand psychology and to be able to implement a measurable, evolving strategy.


An outstanding marketer knows that most of their ideas will fail, but also knows if they continue to implement, measure and test, they will find a marketing strategy that will blow the competition out of the water. That's the great thing about becoming committed to marketing, is that if you are prepared to fail enough, and keep going, you are guaranteed success!


The biggest mistake I see, is far too many small business owners making delegate responsibility for their marketing strategy to which ever sales representative walks through the door from the Yellow Pages or local radio or TV station. You need to understand that their motivation is to make their business successful, it is your responsibility to make your business successful.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Mick ,
    Here is one> I posted out birthday cards with a 1o Dollar gift voucher. I asked people to print it out and bring it back to measure how many people will respond. So far two responded but both did not bring the printed version of it.
    Upset when I said this was the deal as I want to measure over a certain time how good the response is.
    Looks like the customer is even to lazy to print it out but exist to get the rebate. Mhhhhhhh I gave it to them in the end. V.K

    ReplyDelete